Are you dairy free? What if I told you that this holiday season you don’t have to skip the mashed potatoes?
Becoming dairy free has been a lot harder for me that being gluten free. I miss raw milk, a good slice of gouda, and buttery sauteed vegetables. But most of all, I missed mashed potatoes… for a while anyways.
Imagine my delight a few months ago when I, feeling a bit experimental, decided to throw in some avocado oil with my boiled potatoes and mash ’em up. I was scared it would taste too strongly on potatoes, like coconut oil does for me (this was before I really fell in love with avocado oil). But the mild nutty flavor wasn’t overpowering at all. In fact, it was quite complimentary.
Since then I have made many bowls of inhalation-worthy mashed potatoes, and nowadays I don’t even give a second thought to my husband’s bowl full of buttery spuds. It’s such a great substitute that this is the dish I’m bringing to a Thanksgiving Dinner on Thursday, and I’m confident the topic of dairy-free won’t come up unless someone with dietary restrictions is wondering if they can have some. AND THEY CAN!
If you are dairy free try this and let me know what you think!
- Avocado oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chives, for garnish
- Fill a large pot with enough water to just cover your potatoes.
- Chop the potatoes into large chunks.
- Toss them in the water while it is still heating up, and let them boil until fork tender.
- Tip: I wait until they slide right off the fork.
- Drain the water from the pot. Using a masher, mash them right in the pot.
- Tip: Don’t wait too long to mash them after they’re done boiling. If they cool down, they’ll become sticky and pasty. If you have to wait, leave them in the hot water until ready to mash.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in avocado oil liberally, alternately mixing and tasting, until you’ve added enough to get your desired consistency.
- Move to a serving dish. Garnish with some chives.
I am huge fan of avocado oil If you are wondering what else to do with it besides mix it in your mashed potatoes check out my Five Favorite Ways to Use Avocado Oil.
This is my favorite avocado oil brand. If you can’t find it at your local grocer you can purchase it here.Avocado Oil