I recently found out that I’m struggling with fibrocystic breasts during a thermography exam, so I’ve been avoiding caffeine and chocolate because they can exacerbate the problem. Finding out that you can’t eat chocolate anymore sucks. But let’s face it: I’m a chocolate addict, and if you’re like me, you might think that giving up chocolate forever is a non-option. But I have some good news. You can replace chocolate with carob powder, which has no caffeine, is full of healthy nutrients, and is basically just as delicious! Studies even show it to be good for digestion and soothing to upset tummies. So I came up with these Carob-Peanut Butter Bars to satisfy my chocolate tooth. Working great so far – maybe too well!
- 1 cup of creamy peanut butter (or almond butter)
- ½ cup of carob powder
- ¼ cup of raw honey, or less depending on how sweet you want your bars
- ¼ cup of melted coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until they become a uniform consistency. A fork works great for this.
- Line a small baking sheet or bread pan with wax paper.
- Pour mixture into the pan and place in the freezer until it sets.
- Remove from freezer, cut into squares, and serve immediately. These will begin to melt after several minutes, but that’s usually not a problem because they get eaten up real fast!