For over a week I have been fighting a nasty sore throat that took away most of my voice and all of my energy. At first hot tea was soothing, but as my fever went up, the idea of drinking anything hot made feel like I would combust. So instead, I stumbled into my kitchen in an attempt to make myself something cooling and full of vitamin C. I had also barely eaten all day, but couldn’t work up an appetite for dinner.
I was going to try and simulate this recipe, but after looking through the kitchen I realized all I had was limes and oranges. But this didn’t stop me; I really wanted that smoothie! So I made a pretty basic recipe, but it turned out delightful! I love this smoothie for a few reasons:
- It is delicious. You could serve it for desert at a dinner party with a sprig of fresh mint, and your guests will be asking for more.
- It is filling. You can have it for breakfast, lunch, or a snack. Just add egg yolks as your appetite dictates.
- It is gluten-free and dairy-free. I didn’t use any dairy or non-dairy milk for this smoothie; just crushed ice.
- It is full of immune boosting ingredients!
- Oranges and limes: Vitamin C
- Egg yolks: Vitamins A, B, and D
- Raw honey and coconut oil: antibacterial, antiviral, and anti fungal properties.
- The raw egg yolks and coconut oil will help your body metabolize the fructose and glucose at a slower rate, which will fill you up and help keep your blood sugar levels stable throughout the day.
My husband and I loved our smoothies so much that the next day we walked to the store and got a few more oranges and limes, and I made a half-gallon jar’s worth. We threw it in my backpack and snuck it into the movie theater (yeah, we’re rebels like that), and while everyone else was and eating MSG-covered popcorn and Diet Coke, we were sipping in silence on our tangy immune-boosting smoothie. Crunchy, I know.
- 4 large oranges
- 2 limes
- 4 eggs yolks
- 1/3 cup heated coconut oil, you can get it here
- 2 teaspoons of raw honey, get it here
- 4 ice cubes
- Peel the oranges and place them in a blender.
- Squeeze the limes and pour the juice in the blender.
- Start the blender on low and and add the egg yolks
- Warm the coconut oil not too hot!
- Add the raw honey to the coconut oil and give it a few minutes to melt.
- Once it is mixed in pour it into the blender.
- Add the ice cubes and blend.
- Pour into a chilled glass and enjoy cold. Orange, lime zest or fresh mint on top looks fun.
This post is featured on Allergy Free Wednesday