Summer has finally arrived in Eugene – and how. My apartment feels like a steam room and I can barely go outside for five minutes before feeling like I need to jump in a swimming pool.
Consequently, I have avoided making any foods in the kitchen that requires too much bustling about or standing over the stove top. Plus, I seem to crave hydrating foods that don’t increase my body temperature. So I have been eating lots of salads, fruit, juices, and jellos. But, while I am munching on lots of cooling light foods, I still require the usual dose of fats due to my hypoglycemia. This salad is a compromise between my two cravings – fresh mixed greens, onions, carrots, and tomatoes, paired with bacon, avocados and eggs. It is hearty and delicious, and super easy to make especially if you don’t want to spend more than 20 minutes in the kitchen!
P.S. Hubby typically makes this one, so I only have one picture. Sorry! I was too hot to be in the kitchen 😉
- 1 bag of fresh mixed greens
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 5 slices of bacon
- 4 pastured eggs
- cracked pepper
- Sea Salt
1. Cook the bacon and put it aside. Save the grease.
2. Sweat the onion in the bacon grease, leaving some for the eggs too. Yes, I said bacon grease. Confused about why I would cook with so much fat? Read this article to find out why.
3. Mix the salad greens, tomatoes, carrots, avocado slices, and the bacon (chopped) in a large bowl.
4. Toss the salad in a homemade balsamic vinaigrette (balsamic + olive oil + Dijon).
5. Plate the salad.
5. Fry the eggs (however you like – we like sunny side up) in the remaining bacon grease.
6. Top each salad with two eggs.
7. Enjoy this meal outside in your garden, your porch, or your balcony.
8. Remember to give thanks and chew your food slowly for good digestion. Read more about why, here.