I love quiches… the crispy, buttery crust, the creamy filling, the savory aroma… Then one day I discovered that gluten upsets my digestion, and my love for quiches… continued, except that I stopped eating them. I just longingly watched and smelled them from a distance. For a while, I tried to just scrape the filling out, but somehow that wasn’t as satisfying. Then one day I decided to just make a quiche with no crust (in other words, a frittata), and add potatoes as a starch. The results were delicious, and I never went back to craving quiches, except maybe sometimes, when I smell that buttery crust 😉
This is one of our favorite make ahead breakfasts/dinners. It’s easy to make, cheap, and nutritious. Today I made it right before I went to work, stuck it in the fridge, and had my husband place it in the oven when he came home. It was a hit!
- 5 pastured eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, used to sautee the potatoes, spinach, and onions
- 1 tomato
- 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/4 onion
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 big handfulls spinach
- 1 cup of raw cream
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Sea salt to tase
Serves: 2 large potions
Prep Time: 30 min prep, 30 min bake.
1. Dice the potatoes. This way they cook faster and distribute evenly in the batter.
2. Sautee them in butter until golden brown and soft, about ten minutes. Set aside.
3. Dice the onion.
4. Sautee and set aside. Sauteed onion in butter smells divine. Every single time I start cooking something everyone starts asking me what’s cooking as soon as I sautee the onions. My response: Umm… onions …
5. Sautee the spinach and set aside.
Now that you have finished sauteeing the potatoes, onions, and spinach, its time to assemble the frittata. Here are all the key players:
6. First crack all the eggs in a large bowl.
7. Then add the onions,
spinach, tomatoes and cheese.
8. Mix everything with a fork.
9. Add the raw cream.
Mix it well.
12. Add the fresh cracked pepper and sea salt.
13. Butter a pie pan.
14. Pour in the mixture.
Here is your frittata. You can cook it right away or you can place it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
15. Final step: Place it in the oven for 400* degrees for about 30 minutes. When it is golden brown and firm (but not dry) it is ready.
Try it with a fresh mixed green salad!