I love pop corn. I will choose a bowl of pop corn over sweet treats or desert almost any day. It is my favorite comfort food. But let’s face it: pop corn is not very nutritious. It’s mostly empty carbs. Has that stopped me from eating pop corn? No. Has it made feel guilty? Yes! So I have been trying to find a way to make my bowl of popcorn more nutritious. If you love popcorn as much as I do, yet feel guilty about eating it, here is a way to turn the empty calories into an explosion of immune boosting nutrients by adding coconut oil, nutritional, yeast, and Parmesan cheese.
The coconut oil will provide you with medium chain fatty acids that will boost your immune system, help you loose unwanted weight, (source) support your cardiovascular health, (source), and support your glucose levels.Parmesan cheese will provide you with calcium, magnesium and cholesterol. Nutritional yeast is a great source of B12 vitamins and Chromium. Never heard of nutritional yeast before? Go here to read more about it. It has a great cheesy flavor, and vegans and vegetarians often use it as a way to add B12 vitamins to their diet. If you are struggling with gut dysbiosis or yeast overgrowth however, you may want to stay away from nutritional yeast.
- 1/2 cup Organic Corn Kernels
- 1/2 cup of heated Cold Pressed Coconut Oil, find it here,
- 1/3 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1/3 cup Powdered Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt,
- 1/2 tsp Cracked Pepper
- Place the coconut oil, corn and salt in a large pot.
- Cover with a lid and place it on the stove over medium heat.
- Put on some oven mittens, and shake the pot for three minutes, until all the corn is popped.
- Pour in a large mixing bowl and incorporate the salt, pepper, Parmesan, and nutritional yeast. The amounts I included are suggestions; you should taste it to decide what you like.
- Enjoy it while it’s nice and warm. Although I have eaten it plenty of times cold too, and it tastes great in its own way. It does tend to be messy, so I advise you to divide it into a few bowls and give everyone their own, otherwise you might be cleaning yellow off of your couch cushions for the next few days.