We recently visited Deck family farm and purchased a meat CSA box from them. These delicious burgers were made with the ground lamb we got from them. I confess that since I moved to the USA I have been unable to eat lamb. It never tastes as good as the lamb my grandparents raised – at least until I had these lamb burgers. Deck Family’s meat lacks that too-strong sheepy taste that some lamb meat has, but still retains a robust and unique flavor. The feta cheese, cumin mayo, and marinated onions compliment the meat with zesty overtones. Grass-fed lamb is extremely nutritious for your body. It contains nearly as much omega 3 fatty acid as fish, as well as vitamin B3, B12, Selenium, Zinc, and Phosphorus – but only if it is grass fed!
The recipe will again be presented by my husband, since he cooks burgers just right and I snap the pictures. ; )
- 4 Sprouted Buns or English Muffins
- 1 lb Ground Lamb
- 1 Egg
- Big double-handful of Spinach
- 1/4 lb Feta Cheese
- 1/2 Marinated Red Onion (Marinade: Balsamic Vinegar, Sesame Oil, Soy Sauce, Dill)
- 8 tbsp Homemade Mayo (heavily seasoned with Cumin)
1. Marinate Onions 12-48 hrs before.
2. Saute Spinach in butter until thoroughly wilted.
3. Mix together Ground Lamb, Sauteed Spinach, 1 Egg (whisked), and Salt and Pepper to taste.
4. Form into 4 patties.
5. Slice Feta into thin, wide pieces.
6. Pan fry Lamb Patties on medium-high heat, preferably in animal fat (like leftover bacon fat).
7. When golden brown on bottom, flip over. Be sure to flip only one time.
8. Once flipped, add sliced Feta Cheese onto the cooked side, allowing it to melt while the patties cook.
9. When patties are golden brown on the bottom and/or cooked to a medium-rare on the inside, remove from heat and gently cover with foil. Allow them to rest like this for 5-10 minutes, and the carry-over cook will bring them to a perfectly distributed medium.
10. While resting, place sliced Buns or English Muffins inside-down into the patty drippings, and fry until slightly golden and crispy.
11. Add 1 tbsp of Homemade Cumin Mayo to each slice of the Bun, and spread to cover.
13. Place Lamb Patty (with Feta) on bottom. Place a big stack of Marinated Onions on top of that. Cover with other slice of Bun.
14. Give thanks for all that you have.
Servings: 4 burgers
Prep time 20 min
Cook time: 10 min